live theatre on the northshore
Updates & News
When you shop for everyday purchases at smile.amazon.com, just confirm “30 By Ninety Theatre Inc” as your charity of choice, and Amazon Smile will donate a portion of your eligible purchase price to our organization. Buy. Support. Enjoy. We all win when we help the theatre!
AUDITION TIMES ::
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 17
CALL BACKS (IF NEEDED)
SEPTEMBER 18, 10:00 AM
November 5, 11, 12, 18, 19 || 8:00 PM
November 6, 13, 20 || 2:30 PM
AUDITION DETAILS || SHOW SYNOPSIS & DETAILS
For auditions, please bring a 1-to-2 minute contemporary dramatic monologue and be prepared to do a cold reading from pre-selected sides individually and/or with others.
*If you would like to audition, but are unable to attend the initial round of auditions on the 17th, please contact info@30byNinety.com.
**If you are aware of any conflicts, please indicate them on the audition signup form or during the audition in order to facilitate scheduling.
Comfortably ensconced in his charming Connecticut home, Sidney Bruhl, a successful writer of Broadway thrillers, is struggling to overcome a dry spell which has resulted in a string of failures and a shortage of funds. A possible break in his fortunes occurs when he receives a script from a student in the seminar he has been conducting at a nearby college—a thriller that Sidney recognizes immediately as a potential Broadway smash. Sidney’s plan, devised with his wife’s help, is to offer collaboration to the student for co-credit. Or is it? DEATHTRAP provides twists and turns of devilish cleverness, and offers hilariously sudden shocks in such abundance that audiences will be spellbound until the very last moment.
Please be advised, this show contains strong language, adult themes, physical violence, and one gunshot. Possible strobe effects may be utilized. Please indicate on the audition signup form if there are any personal or medical exceptions to any of this content.
SIDNEY BRUHL [Male, 40’s to late 50’s, physical role] || A successful and prolific playwright with waning fame. Sharp wit, seemingly aloof, always cracking wise. Prone to bouts of seriousness. Married to Myra.
MYRA BRUHL [Female, 40’s to late 50’s, light physical role] || Clinically anxious, modest. Hospitable and warm even when it causes her stress or further anxiety. Lives on generational wealth, possibly genteel. Married to Sidney.
CLIFFORD ANDERSON [Male, 20’s to 30, physical role] || Ambitious aspiring playwright. Warm and charming, if perhaps naive. Dedicated to his personal vision or craft, may be politely stubborn or defiant.
HELGA TEN DORP [Female, 35+, light physical role] || “Dutch” psychic/energy reader. Very eccentric, with a flair for the dramatic. Has hidden ambitions for fame and enjoys the spotlight.
PORTER MILGRIM [Male, 30+, light physical role] || Sidney’s lawyer. Straight-laced and serious when in professional dealings. Loyal and dedicated to his clients, familiar and friendly with Sidney when not offering counsel. Dry, but good-humored.
SATURDAY, APRIL 2
10 AM, 12 PM, & 2 PM
5 PM & 7 PM
June 11, 17, 18, 24, 25; July 1, 2 || 8:00 PM
June 12, 19, 26; July 3 || 2:30 PM
AUDITION DETAILS & SHOW SYNOPSIS
GENERAL AUDITION INFORMATION
* You must complete the audition form to be assigned an audition time. (Link at end of this notice)
* Audition time slots will have limited numbers and only 1 parent per child will be allowed in the lobby.
* Slots will be filled in the order in which the audition forms are received.
* If we are not able to honor your requested time slot, we will call you to let you know.
* Auditions Will Be Closed
–>No parent or guest will be allowed in the theater during auditions.
* Callbacks will be Sunday, April 3rd.
–>Actors called back will be asked to read from the script or perform a song from the show.
MUSIC & DANCE AUDITION INFORMATION
* Be prepared to sing 32 bars of any up-tempo musical theater song you wish.
–>Try to choose a song that shows off your acting as well as your vocal ability!
* Accompaniment WILL NOT be provided.
* Please arrive with an accompanying track for your song already prepared on a device that can connect to Bluetooth. We will provide a Bluetooth compatible speaker to play your track.
* We will also have our musical director present to test vocal ranges with a keyboard.
* A dance call will be held immediately following the vocal auditions. Please dress comfortably and have shoes appropriate for movement.
* Rehearsals will generally be held on Mondays-Thursdays (5-7 PM || Kids) (6:30-9:30 PM || Adults) with occasional Saturdays, if needed for extra work. Rehearsals the last 3 weeks before opening night when the entire cast is called will run longer but we will be mindful of not keeping the kids out late.
* Rehearsals will start with a read thru the week after auditions followed by dialect work!
* Attendance is MANDATORY for Tech week rehearsals and ALL shows.
Register for the audition here:
Questions? Email info@30byNinety.com with the subject: Matilda Auditions
Matilda is a little girl with astonishing wit, intelligence and psychokinetic powers. She’s unloved by her cruel parents but impresses her schoolteacher, the highly loveable Miss Honey. Over the course of her first term at school, Matilda and Miss Honey have a profound effect on each other’s lives, as Miss Honey begins not only to recognize but also appreciate Matilda’s extraordinary personality. Matilda’s school life isn’t completely smooth sailing, however – the school’s mean headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, hates children and just loves thinking up new punishments for those who don’t abide by her rules. But Matilda has courage and cleverness in equal amounts, and could be the school pupils’ saving grace!
Matilda Wormwood: [Female, 7-12 years old]
* An intelligent and charming little girl. Matilda loves to read and to get into mischief (only when she must!). She has a warm and bright presence with anyone that she meets, and wants to have a family who loves her and treats her as warmly as she treats others.
Bruce Bogtrotter: [Male, 8-13 years old]
* A stout young man who enjoys chocolate cake a bit more than he should. Bruce is a symbol of hope for his classmates as he bests the Trunchbull at her own games.
Lavendar: [Female, 7-13 years old]
* Matilda’s BEST friend, a spunky and lively child. Her feisty personality gets her into all sorts of mischief, and she is not afraid to tell you all about it.
Michael Wormwood: [Male, 8-15 years old]
* Matilda’s brother and prodigal son of his father Mr. Wormwood. Michael is more akin to watching TV than to reading a book, and follows in his father’s footsteps. He is a bit dimwitted and delivers comedy in one-liners.
Ensemble: [Any Gender, 8-13 years old]
* Aside from the roles listed above, we will be in need of 3-6 additional boys and girls to play as Matilda’s classmates, and other children throughout the show!
Ms. Honey: [Female, 20+ years old]
* Mrs. Honey is Matilda’s school teacher. A warm and loving woman in a world that is not quite so warm. Ms. Honey’s heart if full of childlike wonder and joy. She and Matilda also bond over their love of books.
The Trunchbull: [Any Gender, 30+ years old]
* The headmistress of the children’s school that Matilda attends. The Trunchbull’s motto is “children are maggots!”. Equal parts campy ridiculousness, and terrifyingly strong, the Trunchbull is the main antagonist of the show.
Mrs. Wormwood: [Female, 30+ years old]
* Matilda’s mother. More concerned with looks than books, she couldn’t care less about her daughter Matilda. A bombastic and over the top woman who wants to finally win a dance competition!
Mr. Wormwood: [Male, 30+ years old]
* Matilda’s father. A used car salesman with a silver tongue (or so he thinks). A bit dimwitted and less focused on truth, and more focused on the bottom line. Mr. Wormwood has a strong bond with his son Michael, who does basically anything he is told to do.
Ensemble: [Any Gender, 20+ years old]
* We will have a need for an additional 6-8 adults for our ensemble. Some of these roles may be vocally intensive, dance intensive, or both. The adult ensemble will play the parents of children, acrobats, escapologists, dance partners, and many other roles!